You’ve probably strived to achieve a successful balance between your work life and your personal life. With a little separation between the two, people often find they are happier, mentally healthier and able to take necessary breaks for their own benefit. However, if you are married to or in a personal relationship with someone you work with, this balance can be tricky. How can you successfully overlap both parts of your life without driving each other crazy?
To make this work in a way that is beneficial for both partners, both of you will have to be intentional about protecting your personal relationship while navigating professional challenges together in a way that is reasonable and respectful. Some ways you can succeed in finding this balance include the following:
• Recognize that each of you have different strengths and weaknesses, which means that you may see things from different perspectives.
• Understand that it may be necessary to bring in an outside perspective occasionally to resolve a problem or offer input on a decision.
• Be honest and straightforward when discussing work issues, working to reach a compromise that will work for both of you.
• Set a time every evening when you will stop talking about work-related topics. Make time to focus solely on the personal side of the relationship.
• Allow each other the space to be creative and work freely without fear of criticism or negative feedback.
Relationships are difficult enough as it is without the pressure of also balancing a work relationship as well. If your work life and personal life overlap, commit to finding ways to make the two as seamless as possible. This will improve and benefit all aspects of your home and professional lives together.
By Meagan Kerlin for Vertu Marketing LLC