Contrary to what many people believe, success is not found overnight due to some dramatic endeavor, but rather, comes after months or even years of consistent effort. Small habits, refined over time, can make a huge difference in your future success. Consider implementing some of the following habits, as well as others, in an effort to ready yourself for what is ahead:
- Study your craft. Know it well, even better than anyone else. Knowledge is power, and studying, reading and asking questions allows you to act with authority and confidence.
- Set reasonable goals. “Become a millionaire by the end of the year” is a goal, but perhaps not necessarily an attainable one. Instead, set smaller goals, such as “Increase profits by 25% by the end of the year”. When your goals are actually attainable, you will be more motivated than you would be if you were chasing a pie-in-the-sky, undefined purpose.
- Plan and organize. If your business is still small, this is the right time to establish practices that will ensure smooth operating procedures and future growth. Organize now, avoid chaos later.
- Prioritize self-care and personal life. Most successful entrepreneurs put in a significant amount of work hours during the week, but they also take the time to care for their mental and emotional well being. Commit to an afternoon or evening off every week, make it a priority to attend your kid’s softball games or establish a routine of exercise. To be the best version of you that you can be, you must take care of yourself.
- Network and master social media. The way that all types of businesses attract new customers is always changing. To keep up, work with smart people, learn from their success and establish connections through networking. If you haven’t already grasped the importance of social media in terms of your business success, don’t waste another second.
You may not be in sight of your goals just yet, but that’s okay. The foundation of your future is built on what you do right now, today and tomorrow. Success is more than a great business idea or fabulous marketing plan–it is built on the unseen efforts and habits of those who are hungry for more.